Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review: Huntress by Malinda Lo

Huntress (Hardcover) by Malinda Lo
Huntress by Malinda Lo


Nature is out of balance in the human world. The sun hasn't shone in years, and crops are failing. Worse yet, strange and hostile creatures have begun to appear. The people's survival hangs in the balance.To solve the crisis, the oracle stones are cast, and Kaede and Taisin, two seventeen-year-old girls, are picked to go on a dangerous and unheard-of journey to Tanlili, the city of the Fairy Queen. Taisin is a sage, thrumming with magic, and Kaede is of the earth, without a speck of the otherworldly. And yet the two girls' destinies are drawn together during the mission. As members of their party succumb to unearthly attacks and fairy tricks, the two come to rely on each other and even begin to fall in love. But the Kingdom needs only one huntress to save it, and what it takes could tear Kaede and Taisin apart forever.The exciting adventure prequel to Malinda Lo's highly acclaimed novelAsh is overflowing with lush Chinese influences and details inspired by the I Ching, and is filled with action and romance.

Publishes in US: Apr 5th 2011
Prequel to Ash
Source: Won from YALITCHAT  A big thanks to Malinda and Georgia McBride and Little Brown


My Review


     Huntress is a page turner with rich characters. They all have personalities and something to bring to the table. 
     I like the differences between Taisan and Kaede's voice, and what they bring to their party. It is also really cool to see how they fall in love and what brings each to their love and admiration. I like how the relationships all defy the norms, and everyone is okay with it. 
     Huntress always has something going on, and things that make me ask questions. I like the visions in this book, it's interesting to guess and then actually read which decisions and actions end up leading them there. 


I'd love to hear what you think of my review and/or this book.


Here's my video review:


8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review, (especially the video entry though the sound was a little low but that could have been our computer) but have to admit that I expected you to say it was quite depressing read as the synopsis certainly makes it sound so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I'd never heard of this series before. This looks really interesting. Thank you for your lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh glad you enjoyed this one Brandi, I just got it in the mail and am really looking forward to it! I haven't read Ash, did you read it before you read this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read ASH yet but I've heard these stories are wonderful. Glad you liked it and great review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED Ash, so I'm really looking forward to Huntress! It's great to hear that the relationships and the characters of Kaede and Taisin seem to be somewhat similar to the girls in Ash. Thanks for the awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! I love the sound of this one, and that cover is wicked :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so awesome! Really looking forward to reading it. :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your video review. Never actually seen one of those before so it made my day lol.

    New follower via GFC
    Kristen @ BetweenTheLines -WithK

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)